Moist and delicious banana muffin recipe that has healthier fats and sweeteners and can be easily made gluten-free. Easy to make!
Preheat oven to 400°
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
5 ripe bananas, smashed (or use mixer)
1/3 cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
1/3 cup raw honey, molasses, or pure maple syrup (molasses makes it taste differently, but good if you like molasses – my favorite is maple syrup)
1 egg, beaten or 3 Tablespoons egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp dry ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 ½ cups oatmeal (“1 minute” is best)
1 cup flour (whole wheat, or to be gluten-free, some combo of brown rice, coconut, quinoa or chick pea flours)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. With a wooden spoon or mixer, mix wet ingredients - mashed bananas, yogurt, sweetner, egg, oil and vanilla - in a large mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder and spices over the wet ingredients and mix in.
3. Add the flour(s) and oatmeal, mix gently.
4. Fold in nuts.
5. The muffins will have a better crown to them of you let the batter sit for 5 minutes before cooking (to give the leavening time to work, and the oatmeal time to soak up the moisture).
6. Spray muffin pans with olive oil.
7. Spoon mixture into muffin tins.
8. Bake for 20 minutes on middle oven rack.
9. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.
Yield: Makes 18 muffins, 14 with no nuts.
Revised from: Simply Recipes http://www.simplyrecipes.com