One carton (16 oz) egg whites
1 bell pepper
5 large mushrooms
4 cups of kale
½ cup grated cheese (my preference is a 3-cheese mix of asiago, parmesan, and romano)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Beat four eggs in medium large bowl.
2. Add egg whites and beat together with eggs.
3. Rinse and finely chop all vegetables.
4. Combine vegetables with eggs and mix well.
5. Pre-heat oven-safe pan on stovetop (medium high heat) with light coating of olive oil spray. (The pan is ready when I run water over my hand & shake into the pan and it sizzles but does not smoke. The pan is too hot if it smokes.)
6. Pour mixture into pan, flatten the vegetables out, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. If you are using a softer cheese than the one recommended above (e.g., American, cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.) do not add cheese yet.
7. Add salt & pepper to taste, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees while waiting for eggs to cook on stovetop.
9. Remove cover from pan. If you have not yet added the softer cheese, do so now. Transfer eggs to oven and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Makes 4 – 6 servings.
*This recipe is a guide. You can put whatever vegetables you want into it. I would recommend putting a little more vegetable than you think you need as the eggs/whites cook into them over time. Also, I would recommend less cheese than you think you need as it melts nicely into the mixture.