This is healthy enough to have as a legitimate snack any time of day, but tastes like a real treat.
2 cups oatmeal
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
½ teaspoon salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger (can substitute with ground ginger)
½ cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
5-6 apples cut into ½ inch chunks, or briefly chopped in food processor
½ cup boiling water
1 cup walnuts or pecans
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Spray 13x9 pan lightly with olive oil
3. In small bowl, whisk dry ingredients together
4. In large bowl combine olive oil, molasses, vanilla, egg, ginger, yogurt, and boiling water. Mix together.
5. Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Let the mixture sit while chopping apples
6. Add apples and chopped nuts, folding in to disperse evenly throughout the mixture
7. Pour into prepared pan
8. Bake for 45 minutes (or until golden brown – let it pass toothpick test)
9. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Adapted from Happyolks (which was adapted from Real Simple)
Wendy McGannon, Ed.D.